Thursday 16 November 2006

Commitment and IT

Recent developments in my company have left me thinking. I am a supermonkey so I can think but I hope I think right and good for “my future”.

Well, I am working at company XYZ (it’s a software company; we are so called the software architects, sounds better than programmers). It’s a small- medium sized company and was doing well until few months back.

What happened few months back? Few key players in the company left and started their own company. Starting up a company, being an entrepreneur is good but pitching on your ex-company’s employees and pitching on your ex-company’s projects is bad. And that’s exactly what happened.

This whole scenario has now led to the ultimate question, “Are the employees committed”? It is right for the company to know whether a person it is hiring or an employee, is really committed or not. But it is foolish for a company to expect an employee will be there forever for an average salary and that too in IT sector. (For a programmer 3 to 4 years in a company is “forever” and that’s a fact.)

It is right for a company to know an employee’s commitment, why, because it’s investing money and time on him. More so, my company has been open to one’s capabilities and has given enough room for one to excel. I have no two thoughts on that. But it is still foolish for a company to expect an employee to stick with it forever. For god sake, this is IT company and we are programmers, it’s a small-medium company and pay is average, we are not in Japan and this no Japanese company; and I am confused as of now what to do.

1 comment:

  1. Perception and reality is different and aggravated by us and they factor.

    ReplyDelete